“Our Daily Bread” http://odb.org
The Daily Devotions of Greg Laurie http://www.harvest.org/devotional
Written by Nancy Ruegge for “From The Inside Out” @ http://nancyaruegg.com
View original post @ https://nancyaruegg.com/2023/02/02/live-in-the-fast-lane/
Live in the Fast Lane!
February 2, 2023 by Nancy Ruegg
I know—that’s not a title you expect to see on a blog for Jesus-followers or those curious about him. But please, hear (read) me out!
You see, the word fast has a number of meanings. The definition of “wild, reckless, and self-indulgent” is only one of them. Fast can also denote:
- fixed, secure, and immovable as in “The rope held the boat fast to the dock.”
- firmly loyal, as in “They became fast friends.”
- completely and deeply, as in “She fell fast asleep.”
These definitions can give new meaning to” life in the fast lane,” when considered in the context of faith in Jesus:
- Our future destinies are fast; they are fixed and secure
- He is our fast, firmly loyal Friend now and forever
- His love for us is fast—it’s complete and runs deep
The Bible also includes other references to fast, instructing us to hold on to certain entities as we walk this lane/path of life. For example, we’re told to:
- Hold fast to instruction and never let it go (Proverbs 4:13 NAB).
- Stand firm in the faith (1 Corinthians 16:13 NIV)
- Stand fast in the Lord (Philippians 4:1 ERV); that is, keep our relationship with the Lord firm (same verse, GWT).
- Hold fast to that which is good (1 Thessalonians 5:21 NIV)
- Hold firmly to our confidence and the hope in which we glory (Hebrews 3:6, NIV).
- Hold fast to Christ’s name (Revelation 2:13 MSB)
And what are the results when life is lived in this fast lane with God?
The Bible tells us:
In other words, when we seek to follow the above directives and live in God’s fast lane, we’ll enjoy some high living!
What does that include?
- The wise instruction of God’s Word, providing guidance, peace, comfort, and encouragement (Psalm 119:24, 28, 103; 111, 165)
- Strong faith, protecting us from fear and anxiety (Philippians 4:6-7)
- An intimate relationship with God, enjoying his unfailing kindness (Jeremiah 31:3)
- Good thoughts that result in a continual feast of delight; good actions that result in blessing and fulfillment (Proverbs 15:15b, Psalm 107:9, Acts 20:35)
- Confidence in the promise of heaven that fosters spiritual strength (2 Corinthians 4:16-17)
- Reliance upon all that Christ is (indicated by his many names), contributing to our well-being, and the added joy of reflecting his radiance to others (Colossians 3:17; 2 Corinthians 2:15a)
In a nutshell, the benefits of life in this fast lane include: guidance, peace, comfort, encouragement, serenity, joy, contentment, delight, blessing, fulfillment, spiritual strength, a sense of well-being, purpose, and more. Whew!
That sounds like high living to me—of the heavenly sort!
The question is, will we choose to live in this fast lane?
* * * * * * * * * *
Lord God, thank you for making possible this thrilling journey—accompanied by you, led by you, loved by you, empowered by you, blessed by you. Keep me in your fast lane where I can live life to the fullest as you intended. And may others choose to join us.
 1 Peter 1:3-5; John 15:12-15; Ephesians 3:17-19
 Some translations use synonyms such as firm and firmly
Art & photo credits: http://www.publicdomainpictures.net; http://www.canva.com (3); http://www.rawpixel.com.
P.S. (from bruce) When there is no other place to turn…turn to God !! If you’re not a “born again” Christian, is the Holy Spirit urging you to open this link ?? Here is the truth about how God’s grace is received to become a Christian in God’s eyes; through understanding and obeying the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ… https://godsmanforever.com
To my brothers and sisters in Christ, please feel free to share this message of the cross with those in need…
You say you are a “born again” believer… BUT is your soul “ON FIRE” for the Lord ?? If not, open this link – https://godsmanforever.com/2020/08/01/are-you-a-christian-in-gods-eyes-and-on-fire-for-the-lord-or-not/